A special kind of caring for patients who wish to spend their last days at home or in familiar surroundings with people they love.
- Physical, emotional, spiritual and social support.
- 24-hour availability.
- Care given in the patient’s home or in a home-like setting.
- Concentrates on pain control to obtain a comfort level, which the patient helps choose.
- Recognizes family members as an essential part of hospice.
- Believes the quality of life to be as important as the length of life.
- Provides the necessary Home Medical Equipment to maintain a patient in their own home.
- Pays for medications (95 percent) related to the terminal illness.
- Alternative therapies such as Healing Touch, Aroma Therapy, Music Therapy, Reflexology and Reiki.
- Short-term hospital inpatient or respite care available when needed.
Hospice is a non-profit organization committed to providing care regardless of race, color, age, creed, national origin, disabilities, or disease process.
Your Hospice Team:
Visits the patient at home or home-like setting as often as necessary.
Patient’s Personal Physician:
Continues to be involved in the patient’s care.
Advises the Hospice Team about issues related to medical care.
Home Care Aide/Homemaker:
Assists with personal cares, light housekeeping, and/or childcare.
Offers the patient and family support in coping with the emotional and financial stresses.
Offer the patient and family a trusted companion and growing friendship. They are available to run errands, assist with light housekeeping, and give relief to the caregiver.
Clergy offer spiritual assistance and encourage personal clergy contacts.
Continues on after the death of a loved one. We offer grief mailings and support groups.
Seated: Deana Hageman, Volunteer Coordinator; Jackie Ator, RN; Kathy Grinhaug, RN
Standing: Jim Zajicek, Spiritual Advisor; Dr. Paul Jensen, Medical Director; Carolyn Noe, LBSW, Social Worker; Sheila Halweg, RN, Director of Hospice
Seated: Connie Koshatka, RN; Sarah McGee, Home Care Aide; Joe Lawrence, Home Care Aide
Seated Middle: Cindy Souhrada, RN; Tamara Lickteig, Administrative Assistant; Connie Meyer, Home Care Aide
Standing: Janel Turvold, Home Care Aide; Joye Meyer, Certified Healing Touch/Reflexology; Laurie Burke, Home Care Aide; Karla Jensson, RN
Please contact Howard County Community Hospice when:
- A loved one or friend would benefit from our Hospice Team
- You are interested in being a Hospice volunteer
- You want more information
- You need a speaker for your group or organization
Howard County Community Hospice
327 8th Avenue West
Cresco, IA 52136