Kossuth Regional Health Center (KRHC) began with the opening of St. Ann Hospital, which was the result of more than five years efforts to secure a modern hospital for the people of Kossuth County. The first formal meeting occurred in April, 1945, which included Dr. Melvin Bourne and the Sisters of Mercy.
In 1946, it was estimated that a 50-bed hospital would cost $400,000. The Sisters of Mercy would raise $200,000; $100,000 would be raised locally and the remaining $100,000 would come from a federal grant. However, complying with all the requirements of the federal government would delay the project, so the Sisters of Mercy agreed to pay the balance of the cost over and above the amount subscribed locally, out of their own funds. The ground breaking ceremonies took place on August 13, 1948. St. Ann Hospital, under the management of the Sisters of Mercy was completed and dedicated on October 3, 1949. The final cost of the hospital was $650,000.
The hospital continued to operate under the Sisters of Mercy until September 1967 when the Sisters of St. Benedict purchased the building. It was under their operation until January 1973, at which time it was taken over by Kossuth County and became Kossuth County Hospital.
Today, Kossuth Regional Health Center operates a 25-bed critical access hospital, two physician clinics, home care, hospice and public health nursing agencies. KRHC employs approximately 215 individuals and maintains Master Affiliation and Professional Services Agreements with Mercy Medical Center-North Iowa.