Hancock County Memorial Hospital

Your Health - Our Care...  

A Lasting Partnership

Print    Email
Decrease (-) Restore Default Increase (+)

Frequently Asked Questions

Who and when can I call regarding my bill?
For questions regarding your bill, please call 641.843.5000 between the hours of 7:00 am and 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.
Will my bill be sent to my primary and secondary insurance?
Yes. As a courtesy to you, Hancock County Memorial Hospital will submit bills to all of your insurance companies. You will need to provide us with complete, accurate information on all insurances. Please be sure to bring your most recent copy of your insurance card with you. Some insurance companies require additional information from the patient before they will process the claim. In this instance, it may be necessary for you to contact your insurance company and provide them with that information. If you do not contact them with the requested information, your claim will be denied and you will be responsible for these charges.
Can I receive an itemized bill?
Upon your request. If you would like an itemized bill, please call 641.843.5000 between 7:00 am and 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.
Do you offer payment plans?
Payment in full is due upon receipt of your bill. If you are unable to pay in full, please contact our Financial Counselor at 641.843.5000 or 641.843.5134 to discuss payment arrangements.
Can healthcare facilities turn my account over to a collection agency?
Yes. If payment is not made in full, or an agreeable payment arrangement is not set up.
Is there assistance if I can’t pay my bill?
Yes. Hancock County Memorial Hospital has established a Patient Financial Assistance program to assist patients with financial obligations. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide the appropriate documentation for consideration. Forms are available from the Patient Financial Assistance (Business) office or on our website.
I stayed overnight in the hospital. Why is this billed as an outpatient stay?
The provider who ordered your service determined that your condition did not meet the criteria for an inpatient admission. The provider’s order determines if we bill as an inpatient or an outpatient.
Medicare and my supplement always pay my bill in full. Why do I have a balance due?
Medicare will not pay for self-administered drugs given to a patient on an outpatient basis. If you were in the emergency department, an observation or same day surgery patient, you may be required to pay for drugs that Medicare determines self-administered. Medicare also has medical necessity checks on certain outpatient tests. If Medicare has determined your test to be not medically necessary, you will be required to sign an Advanced Beneficiary Notice prior to the test being performed. The charge for the test(s) will then be your responsibility.
Must I register each time I come to Hancock County Memorial Hospital or one of the clinics?
Yes. We are required to submit a separate bill each time you present for services. We ask that you verify the following information each time you check-in: name, date of birth, social security number, address, phone number, alternate phone number, person to notify, employer and insurance information.
Must I have my insurance card(s) each time I present for services?
Yes. We require a copy of your most recent insurance card(s) each time you present for services to ensure that we are billing the correct insurance company. Insurance information can change from month to month, so it is important that we have a copy for correct claim filing information.
Why should I contact my insurance company if they do not pay my bill?
Insurance clerks will make every effort to resolve your account with your insurance company. Occasionally, we will be unable to resolve the issue with your carrier and will need your assistance.
How do I know if my health plan requires a referral or pre-authorization for service?
It is your responsibility to contact your insurance company to find out if a preauthorization is needed. Your benefit book or provider directory should provide this for you. We recommend that you contact your insurance company prior to any procedure to verify whether a referral or pre-authorization is needed. Not doing so could be costly.
©  2015 

Hancock County Health System | 532 1st Street N.W. | Britt, Iowa 50423 | 641-843-5000

Connect with us

Facebook CaringBridge.orgTwitter YouTube Channel for TrustHCHS