2015 Board of Trustees
John Lessard, Chairperson; Jon Koster, Vice Chair; Jean Brumm, Secretary/Treasurer;
Betty McCarthy, Cheryl Smalley, Luke Porisch, Steve Norby
The Board of Trustees is the governing body for Mitchell County Regional Health Center. County residents elect this seven-member board. Their powers are set forth in the Iowa Code and include the following as well as others:
- Adopting bylaws and rules for its own guidance and for the government of the hospital
- Procuring and paying premiums on any and all insurance policies required for the prudent management of the hospital, including but not limited to public liability, professional malpractice liability, workers’ compensation and vehicle liability.
- Certifying levies for a tax in excess of any tax levy limit to meet its obligations to pay the premium costs for insurance premiums.
- Doing all things necessary for the management, control and government of the hospital and exercise all the rights and duties pertaining to hospital trustees unless specifically denied by Chapter 347 of The Iowa Code.
- Establishing a fund for depreciation as a separate fund.
- Purchasing, leasing, equipping, maintaining and operating an ambulance or ambulances to provide necessary and sufficient ambulance service.
Submitting to the voters at a regular or special election a proposition to sell or lease a county public hospital for use as a private hospital or as a merged area hospital under chapter 145A or to sell or lease a county hospital in conjunction with the establishment of a merged area hospital. The authorization of the board of hospital trustees submitting the proposition may, but is not required to , contain conditions which provide for maintaining hospital care within the county, for the retention of county public hospital employees and staff, and for the purpose of carrying out provisions of contracts.