The Birthing Center at EMH is, truly, "Where it All Begins". Families spend their first moments together in this warm, cozy, safe place surrounded by a professional staff of committed doctors, nurses and aids.
Approximately 120 babies are born each year at EMH with the reassurance that health care providers and hospital are nearby and ready any time of the day for your special arrival. Those first days after taking home baby can be scary and filled with questions, so our staff is here for you even after discharge.
We have a team of local family practice physicians who deliver in our Birthing Center, welcoming new little ones right into our own community.
As you prepare for your growing family, the EMH Birthing Center is proud to offer the following resources:
- Breastfeeding Educators
- Lactation Consultant
- Car safety seat technicians: Two members of the OB staff are certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians through Safe Kids USA, and host car seat checks, at least, once per year that you will receive an invitation to attend.
- NRP Certified
- STABLE Certified
- Classes for moms and families: breastfeeding, sibling, newborn care (Please see our Class Schedule for more information).
- Quarterly Open Houses: tour the facilities, meet the staff and take some of the anxiety out of the anticipation of delivery. The Open Houses feature a guest speaker, refreshments and the opportunity to sign up for helpful classes. If you are unable to attend an Open House, you may schedule a private tour of the Birthing Center by call 641-648-7032.
- Early hearing detection intervention on all newborns
- Baby’s personalized photo CD
Once you've delivered at EMH, you're a part of our family. Each year, we invite the "family" back at Christmas time for Baby's First Christmas Party. Santa Claus is there, of course, and our staff plans activities and photo opportunities for the whole family!